Camp History

Invest “our” evaporating time and leave

a legacy behind for future generations.

                                 Sunday Adelaja 

Vision

To provide an excellent facility that supports Wyoming Lions

programs for people with special needs.

Mission

A nonprofit organization, compassionately focusing on improving

the lives of those with special need by providing them the

opportunities to move forward toward their full potential.

  • The local Camp for the Visually Impaired was started by the Lions Club of Casper in 1926.
  • In 1928, Lion Ed Murane arranged for a lease on a more accessible site,14 acres of property located 11 miles outside the city limits on Casper Mountain.
  • The new site became the camp’s permanent home in 1935
  • From 1933 to 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Works Progress Administration (WPA), depression-era federal programs built a few buildings that are still in use and made improvements to the site.
  • The camp reopened in 1946 as a camp for the blind under an agreement with the Wyoming State Department of Education.
  • The Camp now consists of 14 buildings.
  • The Department of Education discontinued funding the summer school for the blind in 2007. Since that time, the Lions Club of Casper, Lions Clubs from around the State, and the Lions of Wyoming Foundation have funded the free summer program for children who are visually impaired.
  • In the spring of 2012, the Casper Lions turned the camp ownership over to the Lions of Wyoming Foundation. We now receive an annual grant from the Montgomery Trust (administrated by the State Department of Education) that support the Summer School.
  • For a more complete version of the Camp's history, please click here.